Stone Me

Blunts are lying on the wet sidewalk along the lane
where the rain can’t fall and this young man remains
upright and walking to class on this ball,
where two talking out the dorm’s window pane
stay in the vein of the guy Judas had slain—
but then it came upon me like the greenest wind
howling deep from the boasting guts of guys near
driven insane by the fear of Judas dying
and trying to be just like him!

Still I got friends downstairs killing me
with homemade cares (their medicine mix is laced).
Still Edison bulbs are growing dim in every puff,
and they’re not telling me what’s in that stuff.
Still it had this bitter taste.

Like chemicals clean in this machine of meat
beating on the scene in there and staring
into me with his mean teeth he bares,
like being a full metal jacket armed magazine,
Ray “offered me” ‘cause he likes being a pain
every waking moment when staying up late—
now making a mess at the flop with the screened gate
in the unseen night and waiting for this machine
to collapse under its own weight.

Yet the trip did find its gain driving circles
through my brain in my time of waking.
“Follow the trail to the East Pleasant Street bus stop”
and maybe tomorrow the no doz will make me drop.
Maybe the Earth is shaking.

Find some blunts rolled up in your pillows
and it don’t take long to understand when
you’ve been put out in the sand.
When the joke was up and he set me free from
the chains on my brain and nothing looked the same,
I was trapped, and in the gap of time that
had elapsed they were clapping hands and
laughing at the gag they made of me that day,
but I think I can adapt.

Doug is blazed and running, yet I can’t say
it wasn’t coming (I let them dig that deep).
Sitting blank in their basement with a flickering light
I guess I dared them not to come in for a bite,
and let them hit me in my sleep.

Now the couch spring hurts my back
and there’s nothing I can do about it.
Can’t move about or sit up straight,
and I’m cramped into the slack
of a basement in someone’s flat.
And when dizzy memories of the day
leave me all alone and upright,
I know now I was just some fun for some
crazy seniors last night.

--Farewell Frat Row

No comments:

Post a Comment